Since GLPI 9.x it's been necessary to have a dedicated plugin, so we would have a simple and automatic inventory report. After the release of GLPI 10 there's no need to install any plugins. There is a native inventory tool in its core. Once the version is installed, the inventory feature is already there to be used.
Native Inventory vs. Plugins
Even using the GLPI 10 version with its native inventory tool, there's a possibility to use precious inventory plugins, like OCS Inventory or FusionInventory. These plugins were also updated to support newer functionalities on GLPI 10.
Most of you could be asking yourselves whether should I use native or a plugin on GLPI 10. So here are some good reasons to use the one on GLPI's core.
- You don't need any additional servers, plugins, complements and more complex administration;
- The code is optimized to inventory functionalities – even database logs are better dealt with, and less storage is being used when it's used;
- Entity and business rules integrations are on its core, as well;
- You can even import devices via file injection. It's for the main compatible integration extensions like json, xml, ocs;
- The Native GLPI Inventory is compatible with the new GLPI Agent and also with FusionInventory agent, and OCS Inventory agent.
I — Arthur Schaefer —, particularly, am an enthusiast of simplification of the environment and systems. So if I can remove extra pieces of software and databases off the equation, I would always try to do this as manby times as possible.
But pay attention. If you need more than just automatic inventory collect and reports, the Native GLPI Inventory is not enough. There's a need for plugins to manage remote patch installation, waking computers up, collect SNMP inventories and manage remote tasks, for example.
And for that, there's the GLPI Inventory plugin and also the GLPI Desktop / Server agent with stand-alone interface to help on these network discoveries and inventories.
How to migrate from fusioninventory plugin to GLPI Inventory Core?
If you already have a DNS entry pointing out to your server (EG.: https://support.yourcompany.com, you don't need to add extra items to /plugins/fusioninvenvtory.
The Server URL for GLPI Inventory Core – or the GLPI Inventory plugin – is just the server URL itself. In this scenario, https://support.yourcompany.com.
How to change the server url on fusioninventory agents using GPO?
Changing the registry entry
All the registry entries for the fusion inventory agent are at
So if you have a Group Policy editor or manager, you can remotely run a batch or shell script changing these entries using the following command:
reg add hklm\software\fusioninventory-agent /v server /t REG_SZ /d https://support.yourcompany.com /f
It will change just the URL server.
Installing the GLPI agent
You can use the official documentation to replace your current agents for the newer ones.
There's a VBS script where you can change the variables to your environment reality and remotely change it.
GLPI Inventory Plugin
As mentioned above, if you need additional functionalities and advanced tools on your digital environment, you would like to install the GLPI Inventory plugin.
Advanced tools like:
- Wake on LAN: waking computers up, so you can run additional scripts in times when the computer is usually turned off;
- Discovery: discovering IP ranges which have SNMP devices;
- SNMP Inventory: adding extra information to GLPI from devices with SNMP protocol running;
- ESXi: inventorying computers through VWare interfaces;
- Remote Deployment: running remote commands and installing patches and pieces of software.
- Advanced Collect: collecting additional data from computers like, registry entries, folders, WMI information or files, for example.
Once all of these processes are well-defined and running, the support and governance team can see clearer the actual status of computers, inventory, and better estimate future investments or critical areas that require more support or investments.
How to implement GLPI?
At Servicedesk Brasil we take care of everything, from consulting, strategic alignment, implementation, process automation, flows, custom visual identity, support, training and development or integration.
Our motto is to help your business grow, here's a Team waiting for your GLPI Project, allow us to enhance and digitize your organization's processes!
People eat, drink and sleep GLPI. We are PASSIONATE about what we do.
Talk to an expert: firstname.lastname@example.org
We want to hear from you!!!